Monday, January 2, 2012

I'm going home to the place where I belong!

I am the luckiest girl alive. I feel so blessed to have the family and home that I do. I am always welcome there and know that I can count on my parents 100% if I needed them. That is a comforting feeling. My dad says I'm welcome anytime but I can't ever bring my stuff home. I guess when you move home after college for a bit all your college boxes and furniture are in limbo and Dad didn't enjoy them taking up every nook and cranny in the household. I also think if he never had to help me move again, he'd be happy. I did move every year of college and twice since then. Love you both!

I got to be home for the holidays which was absolutely wonderful!!

Some of you might already know about this rather sad turn of events that took place in September. I was told I couldn't start my job at the YMCA in North Dakota until my background check came through. It was going to take 14 days so what's an unemployed girl supposed to do with 14 days? I can only cook and craft for so long so I booked a plane ticket to Georgia! Long and dramatic story short, I had to refund my ticket the next day and then apologize to everyone in Georgia and break the news that I couldn't visit anymore because I had to start work earlier than expected. I was crushed and I'd gotten my hopes up.

The YMCA almost never closes.a During the whole holiday season they were only closed for Monday Dec. 26th and that was kind of a last minute change. We don't get two weeks off at Christmas like regular teachers. I didn't care, I was going home for Christmas no matter what. My boss felt guilty about the misunderstanding that happened in September and she let me take 7 straight days off work to go home!

I apologize for the lack of pictures from the trip. I was busy soaking up good times with friends and family. Highlights from the trip:

  • Spending time with Mom, Dad, Brad, & Tess
The best dog a family could ask for!
  • Seeing my Aunt Lee, Uncle Andy, & cousin, Lindsay
  • Playing Nertz
  • Our friends and family Christmas party
  • Making Christmas cookies like we always did with my grandmother
  • The usual Christmas morning routine: stockings, yummy breakfast, then gifts one by one! Thank you for my wonderful Christmas gifts everyone!
  • Seeing Katie Werner & her family. We've been friends for at least 22 years. Congrats on your engagement!
  • Seeing Brooks and Adam and their beautiful new, grown-up home!
  • Eating Mexican with Abbie and Kristen
  • Taco Mac with Andrew
  • Meeting Brinna and Stuart's beautiful baby, Maris!
  • Breakfast with Clint
  • Seeing Brad's grown up apartment in Atlanta and meeting his girlfriend, Katie.
  • Beautiful weather on New Year's Eve. Sixties and sunny in Georgia! Can I just say that today in North Dakota it was 55 degrees outside, any snow we had just melted away. BUT last year at this time the snow drifts were as high as stop signs. What is going on?
  • New Year's Eve with Melissa

Even the trip back up north was funny. In Chicago I sat on the runway for an hour waiting for them to de-ice the plane because it was snowing in Chicago. Well apparently the de-icer man was inexperienced and sooooo we continued to wait while his boss made him re-de-ice the plane correctly. Do you think I correctly hyphenated that word? Re-de-ice?

All in all, a great trip. Hoping to visit again in the spring! Can we have the delicious food and the gifts all over again too?

No comments:

Post a Comment